You’ve courted, dated and over time come to know each other well. Now, with great joy, the proposal has come and you are seriously contemplating marriage. Yet marriage is such a wonderful and serious commitment, one that will last a life time, and thus it requires reflection and preparation. The Catholic Church has always taken the covenant of marriage very seriously and St Thomas Aquinas offers a comprehensive program that will help you prepare for Christian Marriage. To begin this program it is required that you contact the Church a minimum of 6 months in advance. However, please note that this program is not simply a series of steps that you simply go through; it is a serious discernment between all parties involved.
Thus, it is imperative that a date for your wedding be arranged with the pastor and not in advance as the preparation may require additional time.
The following are the standard requirements for the marriage preparation program here at St. Thomas Aquinas. However, these requirements may be amended or augmented according to the needs of each couple. For that reason
the first step in the preparation for your marriage is to contact the pastor and arrange an initial meeting
. This can be done by contacting
or by calling the church office.
The standard required marriage preparation programs are:
Together in God’s Love weekend Retreat
Natural Family Planning Introduction sessions
- This program is an intensive marriage preparation course held here at St Thomas
- You can sign up on-line at this link
- Available dates for the program are: March 24-25, August 4-5, November 17-18
- The event begins on Friday from 6:00pm - 9:30pm and resumes on Saturday, 8:00am- 7:30pm;
- $200 fee is normally required
- You should expect a certificate of attendance and a “Together in Texas” certificate that enables you to obtain a rebate on your Civil Marriage license.
- The Diocese of Austin, and other churches within the diocese, also run the same program throughout the year. To reference this information consult the Diocese of Austin website. Please note that the program is also referred to as “Together in God’s Love” or “TIGL.”
Sponsor Couple program
- This program is a 2 and a half hour presentation concerning methods of Family Planning that are healthy, effective, and morally sound
- This program is provided at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in College Station.
- There is a $35 fee for this session
- Please sign up for the sessions at St. Mary’s Website
Other Standard Requirements
- In this program you will be paired up with an experienced married couple who will walk with you through a preparation program normally requiring 4 sessions.
- To register contact: Paula Day or call the church office.
- Please note that you will need to obtain a copy of the workbook For Better & For Ever from the church office.
- A certificate of attendance will be provided which you will need to present to your parish of preparation.
- All Catholics are required to provide a new, certified, and recently dated (with notations) Baptism certificate from their place of Baptism. Baptized, non-Catholics must also provide proof of Baptism.
- Both parties are required to provide a witness (any person who knows you well: family member, good friend) who can sign the “Witness Affidavit Form” which will be given to you. This affidavit must be signed and sealed at any Catholic Parish and returned to St Thomas Aquinas
- If you are being married outside of the parish you will need a letter from the pastor of that parish affirming that you are to be married at his parish and that he approves your use of St Thomas Aquinas’ marriage formation program.
- You will also need to obtain a Civil Marriage License, from the County where the wedding is to be held, no sooner than 30 days before the event but not within 72 hours of the wedding.
- For fees, policy, and availability concerning reserving the Hall or the Church for your wedding contact Leanne Gomez at the Parish office or by e-mail at email@example.com