At St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Parish, we want your children to be prepared as best as possible to encounter Jesus in the sacred Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Communion.
In order for this to be a deepening of their personal relationship with Jesus, as well as an opportunity for the whole family to grow closer to Him, the following are requirements for the preparation for, and celebration of, the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion:
- A child must:
- be baptized as a Catholic
- at registration, please provide a recent official certificate of Record of Baptism, from the parish where your child was baptized (even if it was at St. Thomas Aquinas), to the Faith Formation office. Only the parents or legal guardians may request this certificate. DUE: before your child's first Sacramental Preparation class.
- if not baptized as a Catholic, or if the child was baptized as a Catholic, but has never received instruction in the faith, please see information about RCIA Adapted for Children or contact us. We welcome you and your child on this special journey!
- have reached the age of reason, generally considered seven.
- have participated, with attendance of at least 85%, in one full prior year of comprehensive religious education and formation before taking the Sacramental Preparation class for 1st Reconciliation and 1st Communion, and
- participate in one full year of all Sacramental Preparation classes, retreats, and programs. Sacramental Preparation is a separate class which is taken in addition to a faith formation class at the appropriate grade level. An attendance rate of at least 85% is required for the grade-level class.
- At least one parent must attend all Sacramental Preparation meetings and events with your child. We are so pleased to provide this wonderful opportunity for one-on-one time with your child as you both grow in faith!
- Attend at least one Children's Holy Hour.
Sacramental Preparation Workshops & Retreats
Sunday, Septmeber 11, 2016
, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, October 23, 2016, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, November 13, 2016, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
First Reconciliation Retreat: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 9:00am-Noon, PAC
First Reconciliation: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 9:00-11:30, Main Church w/reception following in Zurek Hall
Sunday, January 22, 2017, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, February 12, 2017, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, February 26, 2017, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, March 26, 2017, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
Sunday, April 2, 2017, 3:00-4:00 pm, PAC
First Communion Retreat: Saturday, April 29, 2017, 9:00 am-Noon, PAC
First Communion Rehearsal: Saturday, May 6, 2017, 9:00-Noon, Main Church
(Come dressed in your First Communion clothing for group & individual portraits)
First Communion Masses: Saturday, May 6 & Sunday, May 7, 2017, Main Church w/receptions following
You may find more First Communion pictures here.