St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Parish Children & Youth Faith Formation
Dear Saint Thomas Aquinas Families:
On behalf of the Faith Formation staff, welcome to the 2016-2017 Faith Formation year! We thank you for allowing us to collaborate with you in the formation of your children and teens. It is truly an honor. Please keep the Faith Formation staff in your prayers, and be assured that we are also praying for you and your family.
Darren Seibert, Youth Coordinator
Betsy Guin, Ministries & Apostolates Office Assistant
A Guide to Faith Formation
Start of Religious Education Classes
We look forward to seeing you at the Kick-Off Mass on September 7th at 6 pm.
Following Mass, there will be a Meet the Catechist night in Zurek Hall.
Classes will begin the week of September 11, 2016.
Children’s Formation: Grades PK-6th
You will choose from 3 options:
- Wednesday evenings, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Sunday mornings, 9:45-10:45 AM
- Sunday evenings, 4:15-5:15 PM (RCIA for Children will have first priority for Sunday evening classes)
Youth: Cornerstone (grades 7-8) and STAY (grades 9-12)
- Sunday evenings, 6:30-8:30 PM
First Reconciliation/First Communion Sacramental Prep
- First Reconciliation
- 9/11/16, 10/23/16, 11/13/16,
- Retreat: 11/19/16
- First Communion
- 1/22/17, 2/12/17, 2/26/17, 3/26/17, 4/02/17
- Attendance at one Children’s Holy Hour is required.
- Retreat: 4/29
Confirmation Sacramental Prep
RCIA for Children
- 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sunday, 3:00-4:00 PM (except on Faith Formation holidays)
- Children must also register for his/her grade-level Faith Formation class and Sacramental Prep (if applicable)
Our classes tend to fill up quickly, so we encourage you to:
- WeShare will be open for registration 24 hours, 7 days a week, through September 7th or until classes are filled.
- To access Church WeShare, CLICK HERE, or:
- Go to the St. Thomas Aquinas main webpage at www.stabcs.org.
- Click on the WeShare button.
- Click on the Faith Formation 2016-2017 Registration tab.
- For further assistance, please contact the Faith Formation Office - 979-693-6994, ext. 246
Fees for Faith Formation classes are:
- Family Registration for STA Parishioners (1 per family) - $25.00
- Family Registration for Non-Parishioners (1 per family) - $50.00
- PreK-6th Grade Student Registration - $25.00 per child
- First Reconciliation/First Communion Sacramental Prep - $40.00
- RCIA for Children - $0.00
- 7th-8th Grade Student Registration (includes meal fee) - $55.00
- 9th-12th Grade Student Registration (includes meal fee) - $55.00
- Confirmation Sacramental Preparation - $120.00
Our on-line payment system takes:
- Electronic checks (preferred method)
- Debit cards
**Please note that there are no refunds after classes begin.
Payment is due at the time of registration. Should you need to make payment arrangements, please contact Betsy Guin in the Faith Formation Office at 979-693-6994, ext. 246 or
Sacramental Preparation (First Reconciliation/First Communion)
Children baptized in the Catholic Church, who have reached the age of reason (age 7), have had one prior year of religious education, and through proper discernment are ready to prepare for receiving the sacraments, may register for Sacramental Preparation to receive Reconciliation and First Communion.
Sacramental preparation takes place in addition to the required PK- 6 Faith Formation classes and consists of parent/child meetings, retreats, and home projects throughout the year. The student must be registered for both Sacramental Preparation
their grade-level Faith Formation class.
The additional $40 registration fee is for meeting and retreat materials and celebration events.
Children who have not been baptized and catechized will need to participate in RCIA for Children and must be registered for Sacramental Preparation and regular grade-level Faith Formation class (three classes total) as well.
If you have any questions or would like more information, contact Terri Duhon in the Faith Formation Office at 979-693-6994, ext. 124 or at
Sacramental Preparation (Confirmation)
Teens who are in at least 9th grade and have already received Baptism, First Reconciliation, and First Communion are eligible to register for Sacramental Preparation to receive Confirmation.
The Diocese requires that all students be in Faith Formation classes for at least two consecutive years with good attendance in order to receive Confirmation.
The preparation for Confirmation happens outside of and in addition to the required Sunday night High School STAY program. Confirmation preparation will include grade-level Faith Formation classes, Confirmation Sacramental Prep workshops, and a retreat. Please register your teen for Confirmation Preparation if they are ready to prepare for this sacrament.
Teens who have not been baptized or who have not yet received First Reconciliation and First Communion will need to go through the RCIA classes in addition to their grade-level Faith Formation and Sacramental Preparation classes in order to receive all of the Sacraments of Initiation.
The $120 registration fee is for session materials, retreat costs, and celebration events.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Darren Seibert in the Faith Formation Office at 979-693-6994, ext. 123 or at
We also have walk-in registration if you need to pay by cash:
- Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM, Faith Formation Office
If you would like to volunteer your time and talent as a catechist, co-catechist, hall monitor, parking lot monitor, youth core team member, youth meal team member or administrative support, please contact
or Darren Seibert (
) for Jr.High / High school.