Classification: Part Time
Catholic Required: Yes
Reviewed Date: April 2017
Supervisor: Director of Faith Formation
Essential Job Duties:
- Will work under the supervision of the Director of Faith Formation and within the framework of the entire youth ministry program at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.
- Lead all praise & worship music at all youth ministry formation events including Sunday nights, mid-week programs, and special events.
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation in Sunday night high school youth ministry formation.
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation in the implementation of youth ministry mid-week programs as needed.
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation in the planning, coordinating, and implementation of all youth ministry (5th – 12th) special events.
- Work with the Coordinator of Music in the planning and coordination of the Youth Band playing at the Sunday 5:30 p.m. Mass including choosing music and holding practice times.
- Assist the Youth Band in leading music at the Sunday 5:30p.m. Mass.
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation in all aspects of the Confirmation Sacramental Program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Meet with the Director of Faith Formation on a regular basis throughout the week.
- Maintain regular weekly office hours as agreed with the Director of Faith Formation. (~6 hours per week)
- Lead all praise & worship music at all youth ministry events as assigned by the Director of Faith Formation including, but not limited to, all Sunday nights and special events such as retreats, lock-ins, etc.
- Setup and cleanup all areas needed for Sunday night program along with assist in setup of meal area. (Arrive at 3 PM on Sundays)
- Working with the Coordinator of Music, plan and coordinate music for Sunday 5:30 Mass for the Youth Band.
- Organize and run Youth Band practice for Mass.
- Assist the Youth Band in playing at the Sunday 5:30 p.m. Mass.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of all youth ministry special events.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule that will include evenings, weekends, and special occasions.
- Develop and maintain communication with teens and parents through print materials, emails, and social media.
- Recruit, develop, and communicate with the ministry’s Core Team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Trainings:
- Have a deep knowledge of the Catholic faith with the ability to share the faith with others.
- Have a deep prayer life and love of the Sacraments.
- Be a dynamic and engaging public speaker.
- Ability to play and to improvise on guitar or keyboard as well as reading music.
- Versatile musical knowledge and styles including standard modern Catholic music, traditional hymns, and Praise & Worship style of music.
- Working knowledge of basic sound system functions.
- Have a demonstrated ability to effectively minister to youth.
- Have great communication skills with the ability to relate with parents.
- Be able to lead a Core Team of volunteers through clear communication and organization.
- Be creative, self-motivated, and constantly exhibit joy in the ministry.
- Has proficient computer skills with the ability to do basic design of print and social media communications.
Bachelor’s Degree or in pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
1-2 years of youth ministry experience preferred.
: English language skills required.
: Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with a solid understanding of theology and the Deposit of Faith.
- Must be certified in Diocese of Austin EIM within 90 days of employment and maintain certification throughout the employment period.
- Valid Texas driver’s license.